Monday, May 2, 2016

Beautiful Family



I have been following this family of Great Horned Owls every week since February of this year.  Recently all three of the Owlets fledged and flew about a quarter mile away from their nest area.  After not seeing them for a few days, I figured they had all flown off never to be seen again.  Last Friday, I heard a noise and saw an Owlet on a dead log near a Walnut Tree.  I heard two other Owlets screeching and knew the family was there.  I decided to take a risk and walk through very high grass to see if I could find them.  I had to keep in mind that I must not get too close as to alarm the parents as they have some serious talons that I did not want to experience first hand!  After a few minutes, I turned and took these two shots.  In the photos are Owlet #3, Mama and Owlet #2.









Words cannot express the sincere honor I felt to be this close to wild owls.  It was very obvious Mama knew and trusted me as she did not clack her beak or spread her wings out to scare me away.  If she had done that, she would be teaching her young that I am a danger and to beware.  I am humbled by her trust...

No comments: